The Downtown Action Team (DAT) promotes enhancement of the downtown vibrancy and innovation for the future desired by our residents while maintaining New Ulm’s charm and tradition.
DAT Priorities and Recent Accomplishments
Improve Channels of Communication
- New Ulm Chamber of Commerce moved their calendar to their website’s home page for easy access to community events.
- The City of New Ulm has updated their website to make it easier to navigate and find information.
- As part of the Heart of New Ulm's new website, this Downtown Environment page features information devoted to the work of the Downtown Action Team.
Create Outdoor Public Space
- A series of nine historical tabletop wraps were completed downtown. The 2022 Visitor Guide will include information for people to take a self-guided tour of the tables and do a trivia quiz.
- The City Council adopted a Parklet Policy for downtown, which increases outdoor seating.
- Brought Strong Towns' executive director to town to give presentations to key decision makers, business owners and community members. Topics ranged from achieving economic vitality to street and community design.
Consider New Ulm Residents First for Downtown
Remember Lost Businesses/
Creatively Brainstorm for Future
Volunteers painted vacant building windows with winter scenes to give the downtown scene more vibrancy.
New Ulm Downtown Assessment
This fact sheet summarizes the results of a New Ulm Downtown Assessment conducted in 2019 by Rethos and highlights what the Downtown Action Team is working on.
Nuvera Building Mural
Public art has the power to transform a community. It’s a positive way to impact a neighborhood, providing a work of beauty for all to enjoy. Public art sparks conversation, builds community respect, and creates a welcoming environment.
With this in mind, over the summer of 2021, the Downtown Action Team sponsored a call for artists to create a mural on the exterior of the Nuvera building in the city’s historic downtown at 1st North and North Minnesota Streets. The committee has identified three artists as finalists, who will be submitting their proposed paintings by January 15, 2022. The selected artist(s) will receive a grant to assist with project-related expenses, such as supplies, materials, liability insurance and artist’s fees.
Pictured is the future location of the mural.
With financial support from the Minnesota Main Street program, the Downtown Action Team has helped make parking an easier experience for people visiting downtown New Ulm. The team helped identify available parking and created an easy-to-read map showing the lots and any time restrictions for parking. The map also shows points of interest and the nine tables featuring historical information about New Ulm. Bicycle parking racks are also available downtown to make it easy for bicyclists to visit downtown businesses.
Downtown Table and Bench Project
With financial support from the New Ulm Area Foundation, the Downtown Action Team completed a table and bench project telling some of the history of New Ulm in the Summer of 2021. The table and benches are along Minnesota Street from Third North to First South.
In the first phase of the project, plaques with historical photos and information about New Ulm were installed on 20 benches. The second phase of the project was the installation of vinyl wraps on the nine tabletops. Each table has a theme with photos and information about a variety of topics of local interest. The intent of the project is to increase opportunities for social connections and encourage residents to spend more time downtown. The hope is that the information will provide conversation starters and a “walk down memory lane” for residents, while helping everyone gain a better understanding of aspects of New Ulm’s history.
Explore the History Tables in Downtown New Ulm via Self-Guided Tour
Learn more about the history of downtown New Ulm during a self-guided walking tour of nine themed tables. Test your knowledge by answering some trivia questions. Bring along your friends and family and share with each other what you all remember about New Ulm growing up!
Want to Make a Difference?
Send us a message and we'll help you connect to an initiative that interests you!